You've just opened up your brand new Nintendo Switch skin, excited to give your gaming device a fresh and personalized look. You eagerly start the installation process as it is straightforward enough, you dive right in, armed with your skin and a sense of enthusiasm. However, somewhere along the way, things take an unexpected turn, and your skin ends up with creased edges that you don't know how to fix.
Don't worry you're not alone in this predicament. Many gamers and tech enthusiasts have faced similar challenges during the installation of device skins. The good news is that most issues with skin installation can be fixed, and you can get your Nintendo Switch looking as good as new.
The Common Mistakes
Before we dive into the solution, let's take a moment to talk about the common mistakes that can occur during skin installation. These mistakes are not uncommon, and it's essential to understand that everyone faces a learning curve when it comes to applying skins. Some of the common slip-ups include:
- Misalignment: If the skin is not positioned correctly this can cause lifting or bad edges.
- Being to Excited: We have all been there, you just rush as you can't wait. If unsure patience is key.
- Applying Too Much Pressure: Excessive pressure during installation when the skin is not in the correct position can lead to creased edges and uneven application.
Can It Be Fixed?
Yes, most issues that arise when fitting a skin can be easily fixed. You might be a pro or a noob at fitting skins but some devices and skins require different techniques. So whether it's your first time applying a skin or you've encountered unexpected challenges, here's a video & step-by-step guide to help you get your Nintendo Switch skin looking flawless.
Step-by-Step Guide to Fixing Creased Edges
Step 1: Check how bad it is
If it's just a few wrinkles towards the edge it will be ok to work them out, if it is excessively creased it may be best to lift part of the skin up and start further back.
Step 2: Get any tools you need
Get your hairdryer, a microfiber cloth & tweezers if needed.
Step 3: Lift back the skin
Remove or reduce the amount of creases by lifting the skin in in the affected are and laying it back down gently in a relaxed way, if may still want to crease, just don't press to firmly yet.
Step 4: Heat and smooth it out
Get your hairdryer and lightly warm up the skin, be sure not to apply to much heat. As it warms up you will notice the skin will start to get flexible and some light wrinkles will disappear. Now with the skin more workable you can gently work out the wrinkles and creases working towards the edge.
Step 5: Repeat as needed
It may not get the full extent of the wrinkles or creases out in one motion. Depending on the severity of the creases, you may need to repeat steps 3 and 4 until the skin is flat and smooth.
While fixing creased edges is entirely doable, it's even better to prevent installation mistakes in the first place. Here are some tips to ensure a smoother skin installation process:
- Don't Rush: Having a good fitting skin and taking your time is worth it taking a little longer. Even if you have done skins before other devices may require more time and technique.
- Check the Install Tips: Follow along with one of our install videos, check the basic tips and guides on what to do and use a hairdryer if required.
- Good Quality Skins: We can't speak for others skin makers but with our skins they are made with high quality automotive wrap, this means it will not bubble and is very flexible so you can work over corners and edges especially if heat is used. Other cheaper skins made with low quality abrasive adhesive can be very hard to work with.
Mistakes happen, even to the best of us. Don't think it's a complete waste if you've make an error or had difficulty installing. The important thing is that with a little patience and know how, you can fix those creased edges and enjoy your beautifully customized Nintendo Switch or other device once more. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're here to help you make the most of your gaming and tech experience.
Ready to explore our range of skins for Nintendo Switch and other devices? Browse our huge range and give your favorite devices a makeover